Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Home Made Body Wash Hand Soap (Go Check Her Blog!)

Super Frugal and Wicked Fun! :)

  I found a blog with the most fun DIY tips. One of these was making homemade body wash or hand soap. 

   The author, used Ivory soap, but my skin doesn't like Ivory (It burns/dries too much). I'd bought a $1 bar of Tone at a Dollar Tree months ago, and decided the play time alone was worth giving it a go. My recipe turned out differently from the original, in that I only used 1 bar of soap and 6 cups of water. She used three bars of soap to 6 cups of water. Mine came out thick and creamy though. It may be because I used a different soap.

See the original, posted by HelperJen at "Cuckoo for Coupon Deals."
here: http://www.cuckooforcoupondeals.com/training/how-to-make-hand-soap-body-wash-easy/

 Want to follow me along? 


First I puffed up my soap. As in HelperJen's instructions, I cut my bar of soap into chunks on a plate, and microwaved on High for about 80 seconds. This is what it looked like coming out of the microwave.


The puffed pieces were very soft while warm and I tried cutting them,


but I found it was just as easy as pulling apart a biscuit with my hands. It even resembles a fluffy biscuit or bread roll.


Beginning with her original measurements, I only put 2 cups of water in with my soap pieces. I didn't grate mine as with the original recipe.


I brought this to a boil, and turned the heat down to simmer, stirring occasionally.

After about 30 minutes most of the pieces of soap were melted into the water. It was thin at this point.


To incorporate the rest of the pieces that weren't yet melted, I used a stick blender, and allowed the mix to cool.


It thickened up so much that I began adding more water one cup at a time. Now, your soap may differ. (I'd add one cup at a time, let cool, and see how thick it gets) HelperJan used a total of 6 cups water to 3 bars of soap.


I ended up adding the same 6 cups of water, but to only my 1 bar of soap, just stirring it in the now slightly warm mixture. (I wish I'd have followed her direction for a 4 quart saucepan, as this filled my little 2 quart.


I gathered every saved  pump dispenser I had, and using a large funnel and a ladle began filling them. (I'm messy. Hush! ;) ) 


Again, this made a thick, creamy hand soap. This funnel has a larger opening, and I had to tap it a few times to get the soap to flow faster into the bottles.




At end, my $1 bar of soap netted me 5 bottles of hand or body soap!
Three of these bottles are 8oz, and two are 12oz. Had they all been 8oz, I'd have gotten six bottles!



I ended with about 1 tablespoon leftover and had a very, very decadent handwashing! :) (Wish I'd been closer to the shower at the time!)

Time taken: About 1 1/2hrs of Fun. :) 
Cost for each bottle: 20 cents!

tina jones







No comments:

Post a Comment